Blackheath & Elthamians Hockey Club (BEHC) – Junior Section Coaches needed
Role(s): Junior Section Coaches
Reports to: Chair of Junior section
Liaison with: Junior Secretary plus other paid coaches and volunteer team coaches
BEHC is the oldest hockey club in the world and sees itself as a pioneer within its local community.
This is a unique opportunity to join BEHC’s amazing team of coaches and help take the club’s junior section to the next level.
Our junior section welcomes children from Year 1 (5yrs) to Year 11 (16yrs) and has been growing steadily over the past couple of years. We currently have over 300 junior members and continue to have regular enquiries from prospective members with accompanied waiting lists.
We are fully committed to delivering the best coaching experience for our youngsters and are looking for keen, enthusiastic and inspirational coaches to join our team.
We have two excellent Lead Junior Coaches – one for our Girls’ section and one for our Boys’ section – but we need more Coaches.
We are looking to recruit:
• Junior Section Head Coach to oversee coach development & recruitment, season-long planning and training strategies
• Elite Academy Coach (U14 &U16 – Midweek evening sessions)
• Boys’ Section Coach for under-12s and under-14s
• Girls’ Section Coach for under-10s and under-12s
• Head Coach for our Summer Hockey Programme (May to July)
Any of these five areas could be combined into a single role
When applying please do specify which of the five areas appeal to you.
Successful applicants will need to bring fresh ideas, have an ambitious mind-set and experience of coaching at a junior level. Having a holistic approach to coaching is also vital to ensure the junior section is a cohesive unit with seamless pathways to older age groups and our senior teams.
Applicants must have the ability to coach both technical and tactical considerations and hold an England Hockey coaching qualification.
• Training on Sundays during the season (September to March). Begins at 9am and is split into four one and a half hour sessions – there is flexibility on how many sessions a coach does
• Optional Midweek Elite Training. This is expected to be held between 6pm and 9pm on an evening (1 or 2 x 1.5hr sessions)
• Summer Hockey Coaching. 6-8 weeks. Same hours and runs from May to July
• Flexibility to cover other coaches on an ad-hoc basis
Payment: Monthly upon receipt of invoice (role holder must be self employed, use own admin equipment to perform duties eg laptop, mobile phone etc) There will be no payment of holiday or sick pay.
Role Summary: Liaison with Lead & Senior Coaches on Coaching strategies plus co-ordination of volunteer coaches for our Sunday morning sessions.
Undertake the planning and implementation of training for Volunteer Coaches
• Oversee all sessions hired for and coach as required
• Ensure each session provides opportunities for novices and elite players
• Training is delivered in an enjoyable and fulfilling way for all
• A clear season-long plan is developed with the coaching team
• Volunteer coaches have clear roles and responsibilities and are fully supported
• Assist in developing a plan to recruit, train and support our volunteer coaches
• Attend and coach on match days (including a warm up and post-match debrief)
• Umpire any matches that fall within working hours.
• Put away equipment checking for any damage or missing items, collect and dispose of litter
• Excellent time management
• Self starter. Work well without supervision
• Organised with excellent planning abilities
• Good personal & communication skills
• Minimum EH Level 2 or Sessional Hockey Coach qualification
• First Aid
• EH Online Safeguarding
• EH Level 1 Hockey Umpire qualification
• UK Coaching Safeguarding & Protecting Children Certificate
• The successful candidate will be regarded as self-employed and provide services for a minimum period of two years
• Each successful candidate will be asked to sign a self-employed coaching agreement
• The role holder must use own equipment to perform admin duties e.g. laptop, mobile phone etc.
• All candidates must have UK residence in the UK and permission to work in the UK
• BEHC operates out of four locations across South East London – Eltham College, Colfe’s School, St Dunstan’s College and Avery Hill. The first two are currently our main training venues with the others match/tournament venues.
Salary:Salary is competitive and negotiable depending on experience, qualifications and extent of role undertaken
Closing date: Monday 8 July 2019
For more information about the role and/or to apply please contact:
Fenno Outen or Niall Couperhttps://www.pitchero.com/clubs/blackheathelthamianshockeyclub/contact/contact-official-192754