According to the book “Hockey” written in 1899 by P.A. Robson and J. Nicholson-Smith:- “This club was formed not later than the year 1840. Members are still living who were playing at that date”
This fact was endorsed by Neville Miroy in “The History of Hockey” published by Lifeline Ltd for the Hockey Association Centenary in 1986. Miroy states:- “The first Hockey Club was undoubtedly Blackheath”.
The oldest record in The Club’s possession is the minute book of 1861 which refers to the subscription being 7/6 and the retiring secretary Mr.R.O’Neill. In the early days, Blackheath Hockey and Football (Rugby) were one club and they did not become separate entities until 1864.
The Club was founded by the Old Boys of Blackheath Proprietary School and the School Bell is now used to summon the Members to dine at the Annual Dinner.
From 1952 the Club was based at Rubens Street, Catford which was purchased in time for The Club’s Centenary in 1961 when the Guests included Bernard Duke of Norfolk and Lord Louis Mountbatten.
During the years since then, Blackheath Hockey Club has been one of the Borough's leading sports clubs, having been runners up in the National Club Hockey Championship in both the 1983/84 and 1984/85 seasons; winners of the National Indoor Hockey Club Championship in 1976/77; and winners of The Kent Cup in 1970, 1977, 1983, 1984; Kent Under 16 Champions 1990; and Kent Veterans Cup in 1995. The Kent/Sussex Premiership was won in the seasons 1997/98 and 2004/5.
The formation of Blackheath Ladies Hockey Club occurred in 1982 and they have had great success and grown considerably over the last 35 plus years.
In 2012 the Club made an exciting step and expanded to forge a relationship with Eltham College. The Club was renamed Blackheath & Old Elthamians Hockey Club incorporating Blackheath Ladies Hockey Club to reflect this new partnership and moved to a brand new Clubhouse and Astroturf pitch at College Meadow. A Junior Section that had not existed for many years was restarted and has expanded enormously since.
In 2017 the club was renamed and rebranded Blackheath & Elthamians Hockey Club with a new club logo based on the original BHC crest together with the Elthamians cross reflecting this change. In 2018 the Men's and Ladies Sections disbanded their respective Committees and formed one combined Club Committee finally bringing the Club together as one unified entity. Today the Club is part of a thriving sports club operating seven Mens teams, four ladies teams as well as regular mixed, festival, youth and junior teams. The combined club with its Men’s, Ladies and Junior hockey sections currently has a playing membership approaching 600, plus more than 75 honorary members.